IAIE presents the Inviting School Award to recognize schools, districts, and universities that have demonstrated exceptional implementation of the Invitational Education framework for school improvement . This annual recognition has been presented to a select group of institutions around the world that have been educated in IE tenets and who have created exceptional educational environments for their stakeholders using Invitational Theory & Practice.
As they customize IE principles to their sites, schools earn the award through a series of steps demonstrating their ongoing commitment to best serving their students, staffs and communities. They create an electronic portfolio describing how care, trust, respect, optimism and intentionality are demonstrated at their school. What is seen, heard, smelled, tasted and felt at the school is displayed in the context of the Five P’s (People, Places, Policies, Programs, and Processes).
Steps to achieving the Inviting School Award include:
- The school learns and implements Invitational Education philosophies and practices.
- The school becomes an IAIE Institutional member.
- The school “orders” and completes the FREE Inviting School application.
- The school purchases the Inviting School Survey–Revised (ISS-R) and stakeholders complete the survey (by November 15th). They then reflect on the fully disaggregated report that is provided, in order to target potential areas for improvement.
- The school completes the Inviting School Award application by December 31st.
- An electronic portfolio is created by the school and submitted to the Award Committee Chair by March 15 and sets up an IAIE site visit by April 15th, in order to be notified by May 31st, or the school submits their electronic portfolio by April 15th an sets up their IAIE site visit by May 20th, in order to be notified by June 20th of the award year.